Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What a Difference a Month Brings (by Andi)

Tug and I started our fitness quest one month ago. I have heard that it takes about 30 days to make a resolution stick and to really incorporate new habits. I made it 30 days! I am feeling really good about how far I have come in one month and how good I feel. What I have done, I can continue to do. And that is huge for me.

In one month I have lost 9 pounds. My clothes feel a ton better. I can see the difference in how I look but more importantly, I can tell a difference in how I feel. Those little back rolls of fat, gone. And I can run (okay, jog) for like 15 minutes at a time. I sleep better and I have more energy. I retired the slacks I bought at Kohl's at the beginning of this journey. Only wore them twice. BUT I don't regret the purchase. They really pushed me over the edge to change my life and get healthy.


Don't get me wrong. This is not all ponies and flowers. I have not "arrived." This past week, I only lost one pound. It's to be expected. It's going to be harder to lose the pounds as this journey continues. Today I went a little crazy with the goldfish crackers when we got home. I waited too long to eat and instead of waiting just a few more minutes after getting home late to find me something decent, I went for the cheesy little fish crackers. I'm also OUT of healthy food for lunch tomorrow. I plan to make some turkey stir fry dish tonight as soon as I can get the ground turkey to thaw. That, on top of baths for the kids and getting them to bed, you can bet it will be another late night. Drat. And no mommy TV time.


Oh! New trick! This week I decide while leaving my office to purposefully leave my make-up and shower stuff at my office instead of toting it home. This way, I HAVE to get to work in order to get ready for my day! Tricky me. I have certainly cursed myself over this stupid yet effective joke on myself.

I am trying to stay away from the scale just a little bit. Twice a day is a little obsessive. I have come up with some more clues to verify my weight loss and fitter physique. First some of my older clothes. I have a pair of jeans I just could not zip up a month ago. Now they are just slightly embarrassingly tight. Second, the shower towels at the work gym seemed like a cruel joke seeing how they would barely fit around my hips. Now I can wrap and secure! Lastly, and possibly the best indicator, some friends have told me that they can see a difference! So cool.

Weight loss aside, I am also very excited about the change I have seen in Tug and the way he supports me and takes care of himself. I can see the change in his body and I enjoy sharing healthy food dishes with him. He likes my chicken salad and tuna salad. He even agreed to try tofu at some point, which is great because my mom gave me a new recipe that calls for tofu! Lucky him. I also like it that he takes time for himself to work out which makes me feel like I can take time for me. I feel less guilty about it. I am sure it was a guilt I never needed to carry, but I did. And now I don't! (Too much)

So that's the month! Not to shabby! Now on to month #2. Wish me luck (and a dash of discipline).

No comments:

Post a Comment